Saturday, July 23, 2011

Metaphors, parables, hymns and psalms

6 Pentecost
Proper 12
 July 24, 2011
This past week I had a friend send me one of those emails that wants you to come up with a description of the sender with the 3rd letter of your last name.  My friend happened to be an Episcopal Priest so I labeled her “trinitarian” since “t” is the letter I needed to use.  Another email this week asked me to fill in the blanks on what I was doing in the moment with one and ONLY ONE descriptive word. 
Sunday’s gospel reading may sound as if Jesus has just been asked to explain God’s kingdom in ten sentences or less, as Matthew has recorded for us a series of mini-parables.  We’ll hear about the mustard seed, some yeast, a treasure in the field, a pearl and a fishing net.  We’ll hear about sowers, birds, bread bakers, treasure hunters, pearl merchants and fish. 
Christians need not be ashamed of the many ways we think and speak of the triune God and the working of the kingdom.  May of our metaphors come right from scripture; others from disciples of distant times and cultures.  And many new ones are graciously offered to us for our consideration and inspiration.  We continue to discover that good metaphoric language does not disguise or distort the truth-- reveals it.
There is even one more mini-parable in this package from Matthew.  Jesus tells the crowd, “Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the Kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.”  We, too, are truly rich when we treasure the best poetic images from the past as well as make room for new ones that express the wide diversity of God’s world and God’s people.  Hymnody continues to be both a classroom and a playground for new images to mingle with the old.  We will experience the old and the new in the music at Grace this Sunday.
Our processional hymn, God of Grace and God of Glory is one of the most popular hymns of the twentieth century. Harry Emerson Fosdick, a preacher of international acclaim, wrote the words at his summer home at Boothbay Harbor, Maine.  The hymn was sung the following fall at the opening of the Riverside Church in New York, October 5, 1930.   So, this is a fairly contemporary hymn, especially when we consider the sequence hymn next.
God Moves in a Mysterious Way – our sequence hymn -- was written by William Cowper in the year 1772.  Unfortunately, this was about a year before the onset of an intense period of depression that led to attempted suicide in October1773, and brought his major hymn writing to an end. 
The Lofty Pew Singers will chant Psalm 105 in SATB Anglican chant.  You are invited to join them in singing the printed antiphon available at the door.
What God Ordains is Good Indeed (Was Gott tut, das ist woblgetan), by JS Bach will be the Eucharist anthem.  While Bach, sung in German or Latin might be preferable from a stylistic and musical standpoint, it is perhaps not always the best choice.  For that reason we will sing this Bach piece in both German and English, in case you don’t understand or speak German.  Following is the text in English:
What God ordains is good indeed,
For all life well providing.
The will of God is best for me,
The ground of my confiding.
My faithful God,
On every road
You know the way unfolding;
Your strong hand I am holding.
What God ordains is good indeed.
My friend will never fail me
On danger’s path, in deepest need,
When death in grief shall veil me.
My God so dear,
O, draw me near;
In loving arms now hold me;
At last in light enfold me.
Here is a link to Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Slidell,La, singing this piece, October 25, 2009 on YouTube:
 If Thou But Trust in God to Guide Thee will be our recessional hymn.  This hymn is a classic example of the hymns of “German Pietism,” but that is misleading, since it was written at least a generation before the Pietist movement was begun by Philipp Jacob Spener in the mid-1670s.  It is rather a classic example of the intense and personal hymnody that developed and grew during and following the devastation of the Thirty Years War. 
Both the text and melody of the hymn were written by Georg Neumark in the winter of 1640-41.  The original 7 stanzas appeared after the heading:  “A Song of Comfort.  That God, in His own time will care for and preserve His own.  After the verse:  ‘Cast thy burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain thee’ [Ps. 55:22].”  Catherine Winkworth translated the hymn which has had extensive use, especially in American Lutheranism from the last quarter of the nineteenth century. 
Will all the metaphors in Sunday’s lessons bring even more confusion to our task of understanding God’s kingdom?  Not if we realize that it is not an identity complex we have—what we have as Christians are richly complex identities. Serving God is a mystery. May god guide our paths as we serve him in submission and mystery and trust God to guide us as we process into the streets of Boise this week. 
Sources:
Youtube
Hymnal 1982 Companion
Tune My Heart to Sing
Deacon Ron Jutzy
Bach for All Seasons

6 comments:

Keisha Valentina said...

Lana, I have always known the recessional hymn as "If Thou But Suffer God To Guide Thee." Do you happen to know why it was changed?

Lana said...

Good Sunday Morning to you Keisha,
Well, I wondered if I had mistyped the title, but I did not. I suspect it is just in the translation that the word was replaced. I will google-tranlate the german and post it, but in the meantime, I looked the hymn up in 4 different hymnals.Here is what I find for the first line in them:
HYMNAL'82 (Episcopal/Anglican, the one we use at Grace Anglican Church in Boise, only has 2 verses):
*If thou but trust in God to guide the, and hope in him through all thy ways....
SDA HYMNAL'80 (hymnal of my upbringing, has 4 verses):
*If you but trust in God to guide you, and place your confidence in Him...
Worship 2006 (Lutheran Hymnal, 4 verses):
*If you but trust in God to guide you with gentle hand through all your ways....
UNITED METHODIST HYMNAL(1989, 3 verses):
If thou but suffer God to guide thee, and hope in Gd through all thy ways....
HYMNAL'40(Episcopal Hymnal, still used in many conservative Anglican/Episcopal churches. Hymn not found)

Lana said...

Here is the google translatin of the first verse of this hymn. Not great, but it is what it is! Maybe someone else can provide a better one?
German:
Wer nur den lieben Gott lässt walten und hoffet auf ihn allezeit den wird er wunderbar erhalten in aller Not und Traurigkeit. Wer Gott, dem Allerhöchsten,, traut, der hat auf keinen Sandd gebaut.

English:
Who ever can exercise only the love of God and hope in him, he is wonderfully preserved in all the misery and sadness. Who God the Most High, trust, who has not built on sand dunes.

Lana said...

So, Keisha,
what is your religious background? Just curious since you know this hymn with different words.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lana!

A friend from Ireland actually gave me this song and here is a link she gave to me:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/winkworth/chorales.h134.html

A friend and I are working on an acapella version of this song. Would love to share when we get it recorded!

Beautiful, beautiful hymn isn't it?

I am also Anglican and attend Christ The King church in Spokane, Wa as their choir/music director. My husband works for the church as Fr. Jerry's assistant.

I know Rick Capezza and he is the one who sent me over to your site which I am enjoying very much. I still have so very much to learn about the history of these beautiful hymns.

Anonymous said...

Btw, I asked this question because in our hymnal it is If Thou But Trust In God To Guide Thee as well and I much, much prefer the one I linked you to lyrically.